Congratulations to you on a successful delivery! After the rigorous nine months of carrying a mini-human in you, childbirth comes as a relief; however, there are certain things required for smooth weaning to occur.
As a new mother, it is paramount that you buy some necessities for the baby, whether it is a one-time purchase or a continuous purchase. Diapers are one of such reoccurring expenditure that may amass to a fortune if accumulated, but until the baby is potty trained; you will have to keep buying.
Mothers’ preferences have evolved, leading to the transition from the use of cloth diapers to disposable diapers. Disposable diapers have gradually become the top choice of mothers, especially the working class mums. We have compiled a list of the best newborn diapers for you to choose from, bearing in mind that your choice should be dependent on your baby’s comfort.
Factors To Consider When Choosing The Best Newborn Diapers
The first decision to make before buying the best diapers newborn is between disposable diapers and cloth diapers. Some mothers still prefer the more traditional method of using cloth diapers over disposable diapers.
Cloth diapers are more economical than disposable diapers, as you can decide to wash it yourself rather than pay for dry cleaning. The best newborn cloth diapers are those that can be reused over and over again. Cloth diapers, however, come with accessories to make it more attractive to use. Some companies offer accessories like diaper inserts (pads for increased absorbency), waterproof covers to stop moisture leakage and liners for a neat outlook even after use.
Disposable diapers are usually made of synthetic materials like polyethylene or polypropylene and absorbent polymer mostly sodium polyacrylate. These types of diapers are built to absorb a large amount of liquid. There are also eco-friendly disposable diapers which are designed with fragrances, moisturizing lotions, latex and usually free of chlorine. They may be biodegradable or may possess layers made with biodegradable materials.
Diapers are generally built to protect baby’s skin from irritation caused by moisture. Disposable diapers are more absorbent than cloth diapers, but, cloth diapers can be changed regularly to avoid skin rashes and chafing.
Elastic bands around the legs prevent leakage and make disposable diapers more comfortable, cloth diapers also come with waterproof cloth covers to give support.
Easy to use fasteners are essential when purchasing a diaper. Disposable diapers may come with hold-fast tapes while cloth diapers need pins or grips to fasten it.
Cloth diapers are believed to be more economical as they are reusable; however, the cost of the extra accessories may put it at the same price range as disposable diapers.
It is essential to consider size when buying diapers. Purchasing a large amount of one size is unwise, especially for newborns. The growth level is high at this age, so diapers should be bought in small quantity until babies are grown.
Top 3 Newborn Diapers
Pampers Pure Protection
- Recommended Weight: upto 10 Pounds. Made with premium cotton, soft plant-based fibers, and...
- Pampers Pure Protection diapers are gentle and hypoallergenic, for unbeatable skin care vs....
- Up to 12 hours of trusted Pampers leak protection
- Designed with adorable Prints and Pampers reassuring Wetness Indicator
Pampers Pure Protection is made without fragrance, EU 26 allergens, and lotion for moisturizing; without chlorine bleaching. It is also made with cotton and soft plant-based fibres. It possesses natural rubber latex, and its outside cover is soft. This diaper is made with some slightly more eco-friendly materials. This is the best diaper for newborns as it is easy to use primarily as a new mum.
- It is hypoallergenic
- This diaper is free of chlorine bleaching
- Up to 12 hours dryness
- It possesses a wetness indicator
- It has an absorbent core
- It has a strong chemical smell
Pampers Swaddlers Sensitive
- Recommended Weight: upto 10 Pounds. Pampers best care for skin. Leg cuffs made of polypropylene...
- Gentle and hypoallergenic to help maintain healthy-looking skin
- Wetness indicator tells you when your baby might need a change
- Our unique Absorb Away Liner pulls wetness and mess away from baby's skin
The Pampers Swaddlers Sensitive is the best newborn diapers for sensitive skin. Its hypoallergenic feature helps maintain healthy skin. This diaper is made with soft fabric suitable for baby’s skin. The soft liner keeps wetness away from your baby’s skin. It has a specially designed channel for extra absorption and stretchy sides to keep the diaper in place even when babies move about. Highly durable, when compared with other brands.
- It possesses soft fabric that pampers the baby’s skin
- Comes with extra aloe lotion to calm irritated skin
- A colour change wetness indicator is made available for easy change
- Possesses an absorbent liner
- This diaper has up to12 hours of dryness
- Its stretchy sides aid in keeping the diaper in place despite the baby’s movement
- Its reduced absorption level leads to leakage
- This diaper makes use of chlorine, which gives it a pungent odour
- Fastening flaps may graze your baby’s thighs if not closed properly
- It is relatively more expensive than most brands
Huggies Little Snugglers Diapers
- Huggies Little Snugglers diapers size newborn fit babies up to 10 lb. (4.5 kg)
- Huggies GentleAbsorb Liner protects baby's skin by pulling the mess away, while Pocketed Back...
- Huggies Leak Lock System helps eliminate leaks for up to 12 hours of long lasting protection,...
- Hypoallergenic, soft and breathable outer cover lets baby's skin breathe to stay comfortable,...
The Huggies Little Snugglers diaper is designed with particular attention to the baby’s skin; helping to keep it clean and healthy. The cushioned layer of protection helps to keep baby’s skin safe from the mess. A pocketed back waistband prevents leakage. It is made with soft and breathable fabric that promotes comfort. Color change wetness indicator tells you when it is time for a change. This diaper is suitable for newborns as it has a unique cutout for the umbilical cord to heal.
- This diaper possesses a leak free system
- Wetness indicator for an early diaper change
- Easy to use as a new mum
- Double grip strap that holds the diaper in place
- It is made with soft, breathable fabric that aids durability
- The diaper comes with a cutout for the umbilical cord
- It is highly absorbent
- It bunches up when extremely wet
- The diaper may leak if used over a long period
Huggies Little Snugglers tops our list as the best newborn diapers for 2020 with a rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars, followed by Pampers Pure Protection with 4.3 out of 5 stars. The last but not the least being Pampers Swaddlers diapers with 4 of 5 stars. You may decide to go through different brands in a bid to compare and contrast, and we believe that at the end, you will choose the best diapers for you and your baby that will be pocket-friendly.